Submission Guidelines for Authors
We are open to a broad range of subjects, well written, by authoritative authors. We welcome submissions from both new and previously published authors. Please see below for our submission guidelines.
- Publishes hardcover, e-books, audio and trade paperbacks, originals. Will accept unsolicited mss, provided the “How to Submit” guidelines are followed correctly.
- Pays 20% on royalty (one of the higher offers in the industry). Does not pay any advances.
- Publishes ms 12-32 months after acceptance. Accepts simultaneous submissions. Responds within 120 days to submissions. Please do not follow up before the 120 day mark.
- Publishes up to 15 books a year, markets all of them
We do not print:
- erotic novels
- any works that discriminate against other races, sexes, and
- any works that depict rape or have extreme trigger warnings
- explicit/toxic romance (YA or Adult)
- books that have been self-published in the English language
Subjects include adventure, fantasy, LGBTQ+, gothic, historical, literary, mystery, military, psych-thrillers, science-fiction, suspense, war and western. We look for a strong story line and exceptional literary talent. Authors should strive to break free of stereotypes, clichés, and worn out plot devices to create strong, believable stories with depth and emotional intensity.
Subjects include alternative lifestyles, art, biography, contemporary culture, education, environment, ethnic, history, hobbies, humanities, literary criticism, literature, memoirs, multicultural, music, nature, new age, philosophy, photography, plays, pop culture, psychology, recreation, spirituality, screenwriting and travel. Please ensure you have any and all references needed to validate information accuracy if writing of historical or current events.
Subjects include adventure, fantasy, LGBTQ+, gothic, historical, literary, mystery, military, psych-thrillers, science-fiction, suspense, war and western. We look for a strong story line and exceptional literary talent. Authors should strive to break free of stereotypes, clichés, and worn out plot devices to create strong, believable stories with depth and emotional intensity. YA submissions are for ages 12-18 years old and therefore impressionable ages. We will not print anything with explicit sex scenes, abuse or glorification of a toxic relationship.
We focus on themes that support independence of spirit, encourage openness to others, and foster a life-long love of learning. Female empowerment and strength in being different are highly sought after. All Children’s Books that have a human main character featured are required to participate in our Princess Like Me® and Prince Like Me® Campaigns and help us continue to bring more representation to ALL children.
If you have a main character that is not human, please ensure all supporting characters are diverse. We’d love to see more books with characters who are handi-capable as well! Authors have a choice of working with one of our contracted Illustrators or they must already have their own.
We’re always happy to see non-human characters; animals, feelings or whatever your wonderful imaginations can come up with!
How To Submit Guidelines
Unsolicited submissions are accepted by email only.
Please mention ‘query’ in the subject line and do not include attachments unless noted below.
Include the following in your email:
- Cover Letter with synopsis
- Contact Information
- Word Count
- Target Audience
- Any relevant information about the author should also be included
For Fiction, include the above and paste the first 10 pages into the body of the email. Do not put as an attachment on your email or your entire submission will be rejected. Use 12pt Times New Roman font.
Nonfiction queries should include a detailed cover letter, your credentials and platform information as well as any publishing history. Include the above list, and paste the first 10 pages into the body of the email. Do not put as an attachment on your email or your entire submission will be rejected.
Use 12pt Times New Roman font.
Does NOT accept simultaneous submissions. Responds within 12-16 weeks.
Manuscript Submissions: Submissions@HurnPublications.com
NOTE: SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN FROM JANUARY 1ST – OCTOBER 31ST, 2021.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT ON OCTOBER 31ST, 2021 FOR THE YEAR.
Once your submission is received it is considered for publication by an editor (not an intern), who will assess content, subject matter and suitability under one of our imprints. If we want to move forward, we’ll ask for your full manuscript and review it within 30 days. If the editor considers the work to be appropriate for our lists, we will put forward an offer of publication.
This process can take anywhere from 60-120 days. Please do not follow up before then. Emails within that timeframe asking for status on submissions will be deleted.
How Publishing With Hurn Publications Works
Hurn Publications is a collaborative book publishing company.
Our goal is to financially and professionally empower and reward the whole creative team that produces our books, foremost the author without whom none of this would be possible. Independent collaborative publishing business models are efficient, effective, and make sense for all concerned.
How Is Collaborative Publishing Different?
Collaborative publishing is an option that makes sense for authors by combining the selective literary standards of a traditional publishing company, the distribution power of new technologies and the personal touch of an independent publisher. We work with ALL our authors through Asana, an online project management tool, so that at all times you know what is needed and expected of you.
What we’re not:
- We’re not traditional publishing, meaning we don’t pay you an advance — kudos to anyone able to land one these days.
- We’re not subsidy publishing, meaning we don’t present your book amid a field of thousands of uneven quality on a website that a potential reader must know to look for and will probably miss.
- We’re not self-publishing, in which the author assumes the responsibility of finding, assessing, assembling, coordinating, and paying a team of experts in every area that publishing a good book requires.
What Hurn Publications Does
- Produces professionally designed and edited ebooks, paperback, hardbacks and audiobooks
- Distributes books globally through major carriers; Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Chapters, Waterstones, The Book Depository, Amazon AU, Booktopia, etc
- Distributes books globally through smaller carriers; Independent Bookstores, Libraries, Retailers, Schools, E-commerce companies, etc
- Employs unique and effective publicity initiatives
What Distinguishes Hurn Publications
- Commitment to our authors and to our team
- Enthusiastic author-friendly approach to the publisher-author relationship
- Uses Asana project management tool to communicate what’s needed from the author and when it’s due by
- High royalty rates
- Multiple streams of income for each title
- We automatically submit our books for book competitions
- Honest dealings and timely, transparent accounting
- Authors will be working with our CEO during a lot of the process
Do I Have To Pay For Anything?
No. Never. Absolutely Not.
Hurn Publications covers the costs of editing, formatting, book cover designing, distribution, and marketing. If we decide that your book baby is a good fit for our imprint, and displays or promises the high quality we require, we’ll offer a book contract and work together from there.
What truly makes us unique is that we don’t publish 200 books a year and only market 2. We’ll publish up to 15 books a year and market ALL of them. Which means, yes, it may be more competitive to get accepted with us or you might have to wait a little longer for your book to hit the shelves, but it’s worth it in the long run.
Note To All Picture Book Authors: Children’s Picture Book Authors that feature a human main character are required to be part of our Princess Like Me® & Prince Like Me® Campaigns. Learn More: HERE
*Note: All authors keep their Copyrights. We expect authors to have filed a Copyright for their manuscript or to have at least started the filing process upon signing with us. You can do this easily online at copyright.gov and e-file for only $45.
What Do You Expect Of The Author?
We expect and hope that the author will put the same amount of effort in that we will. Gone are the days where authors can be literary ghosts, hiding in the shadows while the publishers did all the marketing for them.
Hurn Publications Authors will need to be out on the front lines, active on social media, willing to be on video and chatting with readers and writers alike. Today’s readers are smart, educated and they want to know the author behind the story. We’ll be with you every step of the way.